Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tie down time.

Finished pruning the Syrah today, well, the actual cutting bit.  I still have a lot of canes to tie down in the Cabernet Sauvignon, as well as the Syrah. Nevertheless, I am relieved to be almost finished, as some of the Syrah vines already have small leaves, not just budbreak.  I will have to enlist the help of Vinomaker to tie down the canes that have leaves, as I think double teaming those particular canes is the only way to make sure that none, or at least very few, of the buds are knocked off.  No buds, no fruit, no wine.  

5 comments:

Thud said...

I think I saw a bit of green here poking out of the snow.

Thomas said...

In the Finger Lakes, willow twigs were used as cane ties into the 1950s.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Was it money?

Tomasso: Willow is a great wood, it used to be utilised in so many different ways. I mean, can you imagine an Englishman without a good cricket bat at hand?

I also take a lot of baling twine out with me into the vineyard in case I need to re-tie some vines to their stakes...the birds steal it this time of year for nest-building!

Thomas said...

It took me two years of pruning before I realized the birds were using my hard work to make their nests.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Oh, I don't mind if my little feathered friends make me re-tie something twice...even thrice.