Tuesday, March 19, 2013

La Migra.

Today I had to take the day off work and drive up to Santa Rosa. Why, one might ask?  Because I had to be man-handled by a government employee whilst having my biometrics taken in order to renew my green card.  Call me old fashioned, but I think it is rather important that I respect the laws of the country in which I have chosen to reside. In my opinion, it is just bad form to arrive on some foreign shore and expect that one is owed something from one's adopted homeland.
La Migra, a name which I am sure conjures up unpleasant thoughts in the minds of quite a large percentage of Napa County residents, has never been a concern to this particular resident alien.  I follow the rules.  I pay what is requested of me ($450 this time). I periodically subject myself to being finger-printed and photographed. I don't complain.  I observe the immigration laws of the United States of America.  What is it that some people don't understand about the definition of the word illegal?
On another note, I got home early enough to finish pruning the Cabernet Sauvignon vines, though I haven't tied down the canes yet.  It is forecast to rain tonight and tomorrow, Napa's first rain for March, so that will help soften the canes up a bit which'll make tying them down a little easier.  Then...hello Syrah!

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl,oops! Anachronism, responsibility, integreity, are words that come to mind.
As you know I don't buy wine through package express, but let me know and I'll order wine from you!

Thomas said...

VG,

Is biometrics akin to biodynamics?

Do they make you get natural?

I've heard about those La Migra people...

Oh, is the card really green?

Thud said...

It's ok. April 23rd belongs to you.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Just following the laws that are already in existence.

Tomasso: L. Ron Hubbard wasn't mentioned at all.
Last card was 'rose-pink,' don't know what colour next one will be...due to government efficiency it will be 8-9 months before I receive it.

Thud: Yes it does :)