Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Little Chickadee.

With Vinomaker's help, I finished tying down the last of the Cabernet Sauvignon canes this morning.  That's 'Pruning Season 2013' at an end.  Whoo hoo!  So in celebration I decided to partake of a relatively leisurely lunch. 
The rain, that had been forecast for Wednesday past, decided to finally appear and put an end to my alfresco dining plans.  Just as well really, as if I'd stayed outside I would have disturbed the fur-gathering, nest-building acrobatics of this Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens).  It was very entertaining to see this industrious, little bird go about the business of feathering, or rather dog-furring, his nest.  I brushed V1 three more times during the day and each time my little chickadee cleaned out the dog-brush entirely.  Recycling at its finest!                 

6 comments:

Thud said...

Almost as good as my little chick pics.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, as a Chickadee lover (I've seen 4 species of them), I'm predisposed to judging this your best photo yet.
Excellent!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Your 'little chick' pics were rather hard to beat :)

NHW: Thanks!
So what species do you think call Napa home?

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, I'm guessing you've got the ONE, but you could occasionally see Poecile gambeli (Mountain) and less likely, the Poecile atricapillus (Black-Capped); there is only six to be found in the US, but 62 world-wide.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl,oops, there is an irregular visitor for Asia to Alaska, the Siberian Tit, more properly known as the Gray-headed chickadee (7), and I've seen not four, but five of our chickadees.
It has been sometime since I've checked my records of birds I saw in Cali 4 years ago, but out of the 78 species seen in four days there, the two stand-outs were the male Western tanager (singing and 'acting-out'), and a colony of Acorn woodpeckers (acting almost flycatcher-like); these two I'll never forget!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, I think it is plain, old 'Poecile rufescens rufescens' found in northwest California, (broad rufous band on flanks). I don't think 'Poecile rufescens neglectus' (with a narrow rufous band on flanks) would fly across the bay from Marin County!
Have only ever seen acorn woodpeckers one, two, or three at a time, but these comical looking birds are here in abundance as evidenced by all the 'granary' trees around Vinoland.

http://vinsanity-vino.blogspot.com/2012/01/coombsville-granaries.html