Friday, March 08, 2013

A favourite vineyard.

I have had, and enjoyed, Miner Family's, Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon several times before and this their current vintage, 2009, does not disappoint. The nose is typically varietal; the aroma is of black fruit with a hint of mint; the bouquet is of vanilla and miscellaneous spices. Smooth on the palate - with yet more vanilla, a spicy anise vibe and nice acid - this is a rather easy wine to drink. Firm tannins and great structure lend a very pleasant mouthfeel to this wine: it's big and assertive - without stepping on any toes.  I must say, Miner do a pretty nice job with all of their wines (except for their current vintage of Viognier which is not very varietal-like).  I even like their La Diligence line which is a collaboration between Miner winemaker, Gary Brookman and Rhône producer, François Villand.  (A special nod here goes to their Marsanne).
I think one of the main reasons I like this wine is that the fruit hails from Stagecoach Vineyards, a thoroughly unique 600 acres high atop the eastern hills of the Napa Valley.  I love this vineyard.  And if a person can have a favourite vineyard this particular vineyard would be my number one choice.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, I don't think I've seen Miner available in NH, but that label would make a great belt-buckle design!

Thud said...

They should have a pic of the Duke in his younger years on the label.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: That would be one, fancy belt-buckle.

Thud: Stagecoach - got it!