Sunday, May 10, 2009

Liturgical viticulture.

I attended mass at the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King this morning. Replete with smells and bells it is the the best show in town on a Sunday morning. The choir was in fantastic form singing the Creed in Latin, their voices reverberating in the ether long after the last note was sounded. Great stuff.
God continued to show he has a sense of humour as the entire mass was vine themed thanks to a preponderance of references from the book of John in the hymns, readings and even the Gospel. He must have known I was visiting from Napa.

2 comments:

Ron Combo said...

My vicar from the Savoy Chapel in London used to say that if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. Glad you enjoyed the Mass. Despite being from the paramilitary wing of the Anglican Church I have many fond memories of the RC Cathedral and some fairly riotous weekends in Liverpool in my callow youth.

Vinogirl said...

Ron, it was like a mini concert because mass was followed by a performance of Mendelssohn's "Hear my Prayer" (O for the wings of a dove), as it was the old boy's 200th birthday.
The Cathedral is probably just how you remember it.