Friday, May 25, 2012

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

I fibbed.  I said I wasn't going to bore anyone with yet another picture of bloom, but it's just such a fascinating time out in the vineyard that I couldn't help myself.  So, sue me!
Vinoland's Syrah vines are about 10% into bloom, not much I know, but it's a start.  Unfortunately, it rained today.  Not a lot, but three rather heavy cloudburst-like showers which were enough to send the Vinodogs and me running for cover in the barn each time. Vinomaker had just sprayed the vines with sulphur on Wednesday morning, so this rain event was particularly badly timed.
I hope this vintage is not going to be like 2011: a vintage in which Mother Nature roundly reminded the Napa Valley's winegrowers, by way of delivering rainy weather through to the very end of June, just who is boss.  Natural crop control at it's finest?

9 comments:

Thud said...

I thought I would lose 50% of my fruit this year but looking around today it seems I'll be lucky to save 20%.So the 2011 calvados will not be followed by much of a 2012 vintage.

About Last Weekend said...

Hope this horribly chilly weekend is not killing your buds - what on earth is this all about. it's like it's Opposite Day and we've swapped weather with Britain (which apparently is boiling hot this weekend)

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-Girl, I'd like to see blogged the whole series of pictures in chronological order at the end of the season.
Just a thought from one who appreciates the alpha and the omega.

Do Bianchi said...

Vinogirl, you're never boring us with these posts and photos! We love 'em!

It will be really interesting to follow the 2012 vintage here... thanks for these!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Wow...that's terrible. Fingers crossed for no more rain here.

ALW: It was pretty grey here in Napa, but I bet it was a lot gloomier in the Oakland hills!

NHW: The whole process is quite wonderful, but from a photography perspective the onset of veraison (early August) is the only thing visually image-worthy.

2B: Thanks Dr. Parzen.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-Girl, I see you've changed this picture; is it more delineated?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: You are so observant. Yes, I did change the photo...the other one was just too fuzzy, too much sulphur residue - blah, blah, blah! There is a better one still in my Flickr album.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-Girl, the exercise of "seeing" is the beginning of photography; I always taught my two sons to look, see, smell-you get the idea, because one day that could be all they'll have is memories, and fuzzy memories are not as good as ones we take the time to imprint, or examine, a flower, a butterfly, or a spotted and a half lady bug.
Here is a URL, a link to a man who could see like few others:
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/porter/

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Thank you for that link. The photo of the 'Chipping Sparrow' is fantastic...I shall investigate further.