Thursday, July 07, 2011

A baker's dozen, plus three.

With what is fast becoming an annual tradition on Vinsanity (here and here), I present the 2011 Vinoland Callipepla californica nest spotting.
I only learned of the location of Mama quail's nest when I accidentally flushed her out of it whilst watering the shrubbery by my front door. Papa quail has been busy out and about around Vinoland, but getting up quite close to him today I noticed he had been got at! The back of his neck is as bald as a coot; his pretty, sleek grey-blue feathers gone...poor thing. And soon he will be responsible for 16 little ones. Perhaps I should offer him a glass of wine.

8 comments:

Affer said...

Mmmm....just waiting for some watercress and a little tarragon mayo......

About Last Weekend said...

Yes definitely a glass of wine or two is warranted here. Love Affer's comment! Must say I love wee bird's eggs too! (is that wrong?)

Thud said...

High falutin company here, quails eggs indeed...how do you dip your soldier in one?

Thomas said...

Thud,

Please explain the soldier reference...for us colonials.

Vinogirl said...

Affer: Can't you at least wait until they're grown up and have some meat on their bones?

ALW: The wine depends on how the quail eggs are prepared...when in doubt drink bubbly.

Thud: Stick with your duck eggs and you'll be OK.

Thomas: Buttered toast cut into strips for dipping into soft boiled eggs...chucky eggs and soldiers, a great breakfast.

Cesar Valverde said...

Bring on the celery salt!

Quails proper is too bony, and difficult to catch... Boil 'em, poach 'em or fry 'em... just don't let 'em hatch.

(I rather enjoy Quail eggs)

Craig Justice said...

Hey there, are you back from the Royal Wedding already? What did take place at that evening wedding party in Buckingham Palace? About the quail, did you find that nest in the vines? We have all kinds of quail around our vineyard, but I have yet to spot their nest (although I've seen the little chicks running about!) BTW, do quail eat grapes?! I think our Bluey (the Aussie) has made something of a habit of eating vineyard chicks (he snacks on them behind my back and is getting fat), but I would never let him eat our friends the quail. Meantime, we need the advice of the erudite vinogirl and vinoman ... could you help us please? Details here: http://winemakersjournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/vineyard-triage.html THANKS!

phlegmfatale said...

Goodness, what a bumper crop of babies she'll have if they all make it. What a beautiful clutch of eggs.