Sunday, June 14, 2009

Napa nest 2.

Never say never!
I was wondering why Vinodog 2 just happened to get into a very vociferous altercation with a male California quail (Callipepla californica) every time she took a wee in a particular part of the vineyard.
I may have thought that spring and chick-rearing was at an end for the season, but apparently not the quail with the baker's dozen waiting to be hatched.  I feel all warm and fuzzy. Or is that the 2006 Cabernet franc speaking?  Probably just the cuteness of it all.

4 comments:

Affer said...

Good job Ron Combo doesn't live near you....those eggs would have been boiled up in no time, and sat on a plate of smoked salmon and rocket, with some nice lemony mayo....

monkey said...

mmmm tasty, cab franc and quail.

Craig Justice said...

I came across several nests myself when spraying and was able to avoid them. To think when I was a kid I used to take a chicken egg from the fridge and put it in a tree praying for a baby bird. Now, it seems I grow grapes to feed the birds, or as I like to say, "Growing grapes is for the birds, not!" I'm taking a break from the spraying. Could you check out my spraying technique? Here's a little video: http://bit.ly/AsZgV What am I doing wrong? There is sun this evening and I'll watch it set behind Catalina Island. Cheers!

Vinogirl said...

Our resident skunk seems to have taken off with the eggs. I have determined that quail aren't very clever!