Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Stop!

No, don't stop...apparently, little vines, you are right on schedule.
With the change to Daylight Savings Time last weekend, I have been able to do some outside stuff when I get home from work e.g. walk the Vinodogs. Tonight, after returning from our promenade, something caught my eye - budbreak, and the genesis of the 2011 vintage, in the Orange muscat block. I was thinking it seemed a little early this year, but plainly the vines know better than me. The OM's timing in deciding when to awaken from their winter slumber is very close, if not identical, to last year.
Unfortunately, frost is forecast for tomorrow morning. Here we go again!

4 comments:

Vinomaker said...

It is amazing how Mother Nature has timed everything to accommodate our need to have ripe wine grapes ready to pick each fall. This is one process not to be questioned but appreciated. Here's to a new and great crop!

Vinogirl said...

Hear, hear Vinomaker!

Thomas said...

Bud break in March would scare the living daylights out of us on this coast.

Last year, we got it in April and almost lost it to a frost.

Vinogirl said...

Well, it scared me too on the left coast...especially since the forecast frost did indeed arrive Thursday morning. Thankfully, and I thought I'd never say this, we have had heavy rain ever since.