Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What wine goes with...No. 1.

...pancakes? Any wine you want really, pancakes are rather bland. My pairing choice this evening was a Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, but to be honest that was just because a bottle was already open. I'm sure a crisp white wine would have worked better with the fresh lemon juice, but it was getting late and opening several other bottles just didn't seem prudent. I will endeavor to do better in the future, but tonight it was the lowly pancake, a great English tradition, that gave me an idea.
Whilst eating this customary Shrove Tuesday fare it occurred to me that although I live thousands of miles away from my homeland I still eat many foods (or reasonable facsimiles thereof), that I would eat if I were still living in Liverpool. So, I have decided to start a series of posts on Vinsanity entitled, "What wine goes with...?" in an attempt to pair some of my favourite dishes with wine. Pancake Tuesday flipped up the perfect first entrant.

7 comments:

The villager: said...

We didn't have wine with our pancakes...

Thomas said...

Do not forget what wine goes with "lashings of butter." Once was veddy British, that!

Affer said...

I have a feeling that a medium sherry - perhaps an Oloroso - would go well.....

Thud said...

I'm with villager...wine with pancakes, I don't think so.

monkey said...

hmmm what about fish and chips im always boggled by what i should drink with my fav dish. is it ale or wine or good old cuppa cha?

Wartime Housewife said...

I'm looking forward to this one. I was tempted to ask if you'd like to be the resident wine expert for the WH recipes. Do feel free if the spirit takes you...

Vinogirl said...

Villager: It wasn't a perfect pairing.

Thomas: I'm from the north...sometimes it's difficult to be "veddy British"...but lashings of butter (on fresh baked bread maybe) sounds fantastic!

Affer: Do you want my job? I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Thud: How about after the pancakes? Cos that happened too!

Monkey: I did that last summer while I was at home, with you I believe!!!! How soon we forget.

WH: I could give it a shot I suppose. Sounds like Affer would do a better job!