Monday, February 01, 2010

Happy St. Trifon's Day!

Who? You know, St. Trifon.
It seems some old Bulgerian fellow is the patron saint of pruners. It's a little early for pruning to begin in Vinoland, but not wanting to upset the Gods I did a quick ceremonial cut...assisted by V2, the marvelous mammilian mulcher. Some Bulgarian's like to repeat this feast day on the 14th of February which is closer to the actual date I am likely to venture out into the vineyard with my trusty Felcos in hand.
Balkan folklore, eh? Gotta love it.

8 comments:

Thud said...

a little Irishman told me today was St.Bridgets day.

Alice Scradcza said...

I like Lithanian wine - Anyksciu Vynas is good. We don't have many Lithuanian Saints but St Dunstan is patron saint of Welders.

Craig Justice said...

Thank you oh Patron St! We are almost done pruning in San Diego and still have all our digits and paws.

Craig Justice said...

P.S. The ground squirrel saw his shadow today. He lives for another day.

Thomas said...

My standard poodle tells me that today is St. Bernard's Day, and this poodle knows what he's talking about--he also knows how to prune properly, just not accurately.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: It is also.

Alice: Welcome to Vinsanity. Ah ha, I see St. Dunstan would go with your profile piccy.

Craig: Congrats on a job well done, I'm sure. I'm still thinking about it.

Thomas: V2 is very accurate...she takes entire vines down to the graft union! St. Bernard eh? Myself, I'm partial to St. Border Collie-Mongrel, it is their feast day every day.

The villager: said...

Great picture !

Have only heard of St. Trinian...

Vinogirl said...

Villager, I loved the St. Trinian's films as a kid.