Sunday, March 18, 2012

A helping hand.

I started to prune Vinoland's Syrah vines yesterday afternoon, but rain stopped play!  Today, when I finally made it out into the vineyard, after my weekly phone call to Blighty, I was joined in the Syrah by a Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor).  This beautiful butterfly fluttered from the vine on to my sleeve and then proceeded to get quite comfortable on my hand, then a vine, as I took his photograph.  Most likely docile because of the 31 degree temps this morning, he was quite content to rest on my thumb, in the sunshine, until I got bored and unceremoniously dumped him on a stray daffodil - a Vinogirl has to prune!

7 comments:

A Good Moroccan said...

The butterfly is a wonderful sight, Vinogirl.

Almost warm here in the UK !

Lord Roby said...

Vinogirl....Did you know the original 'butterfly'...was the Brimstone...so called because,well....it's the colour of butter!!

Vinogirl said...

Villager: I love, in England, when we get that distinct, but still tiny, change in the air.

LR: Thanks, I love etymology.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, it was a butterfly that got me to buy my first camera in 1971, both a pleasure and a curse ($$$$).
Good job,
Dennis

Vinogirl said...

NHwineman: Just ordered myself a new camera...I know what you mean :)

phlegmfatale said...

What a stunning swallowtail, and lovely photo. I love how you capture the gradations of color. Swallowtails are the reason fennel is always one of the first plants I will set out when I move into a new place. My fennel is thriving already this year, and I've already seen a swallowtail butterfly here, so spring seems to have sprung. Your photos are one of the reasons that your blog is one of the few I eke out time for. Thank you for the inspiring images!

Vinogirl said...

Phlegmmy, I did not know that about fennel...thanks for the tip!