Wednesday, April 15, 2009

True Wine Lover 6.

It's Tax Day USA.  Pish!  As Ben Franklin said, "...nothing is certain but death and taxes".
He also said, "wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy".  What genius.  Mr. Franklin had preceded Mr. Jefferson as Minister to France, a new post, and it was there that he discovered his fondness for fine wines.
Benny displayed many admirable traits; good taste in wine, an innovative and inventive mind, and fiscal responsibility...which is more than can be said for the current, Chardonnay swilling, occupant of the White House.
Old Ben has to be my favourite Founding Father.  In fact, I like him so much, I like to carry lots of little portraits of him around with me in my purse.

3 comments:

Affer said...

I think that, most importantly, he invented bifocals - a boon to old slurpers like me who find it difficult to read the labels on bottles. How many times has that stopped me from buying Syrup instead of Syrah? Or something awful instead of Pinot Noir? He also invented the lightning conductor which saved my local from being burned down.

Thud said...

Affer...you need to raise a glass to him.

Craig Justice said...

o"A penny saved is a penny earned," you really are an ex-banker then, aren't you. I suspect you are a true "vineyardista" -- but do you have "vinyarditis"? You write "nice post" -- but the posts are arriving tomorrow at the coyote's, and then the real work begins... AdmirePro treatment in the morning...all well here -- we will rip out one zombie vine this weekend, but not the whole vineyard. Gophers can do more damage... Orange County fair wine competition coming up, and will submit three entries this weekend....will also try to retrofit that owl box ... hoot, hoot, hoot, send me a hoot!