Sunday, April 12, 2009

Liturgical libation.

Vinogirl is a 'cradle Catholic'.  In all the masses I ever attended in England I was never once offered wine at Communion.  In the USA every Catholic church has wine by the hogshead!  What?  Was my little parish too poor to pour?  I don't know.  Seeing as it is not a tradition I am familiar with, I don't partake.  It could have something to do with me being a little germophobic also.
However today, at Easter Sunday service, a co-worker from the winery joined me for the festivities. She does partake. Ever curious, I asked her whether or not the wine was red or white.  "Red" she answered...and then with a sly wink she added..."I think it was a Bordeaux".  That prompted Vinogirl to rethink her non-participation.  After all, I always love a good blind tasting!
Happy Easter!

10 comments:

winecountrydog said...

Howlo! Nice post.

I meant to paw-write a greeting to you & V1 & V2 afore egg day was upon us.

Hope you're all enjoying spring as much as Jack Corgi & I are. Since the rains, the beauty has gotten more arfsome. ^..^

Thud said...

I paused at too poor to pour and then hit your descent into blasphemy....10 hail marys at least may suffice.

Weston said...

I blame the puritans and there no wine. It better be red, white wine doesn't look like blood, unless maybe you have wierd blood...then I would say you need to visit a doctor

Affer said...

"too poor to pour"....heresy! Decision of The Council of Trent, sessions 13 and 22: the faithful take bread only (leaving the booze for the celebrant...well, it's thirsty work doing Mass!). Amended by Vatican 11, 4 Dec 1963....but hey, news travels slowly in England......!!!

Vinogirl said...

Oh, thank God for that Affer...I was taking it personally.

anfield devotee said...

Dear Fellow Kopite,

Yer invited to post yer thoughts & trbiutes to our fallen comrades at http://anfielddevotee.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-remembrance.html .

AnfieldDevotee

monkey said...

i should go to church more

Craig Justice said...

You could become the self-appointed winemaker to the Bishop up there an donate 10% of your wine to the church. I did that down here, and need to keep my eye on one administrator who has been tempted to keep the wine from the "pour" churches for himself. Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

i don't know, usually all we got was manischewitz. it was always very sweet.

Vinogirl said...

Ithacork, I suppose that is better than nothing!