Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Choose your Chardonnay.

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.  Another staff blind-tasting at TWWIAGE this time squared off the 2016 Chardonnay (CH) against five other 2016s.  Once again, the TWWIAGE contender happened to be my favourite of the bunch.  For me, the second best wine turned out to be a 2016 Gary Farrell, Russian River Selection (Russian River Valley AVA).  My tasting notes were thus; candy, caramel apple, toast, nice mouthfeel.  A rather lovely little wine.
My least favourite wine, and the lowest rank amongst the majority of my fellow co-workers (great taste buds taste alike?), was a 2016 Mer Soleil Reserve (Santa Lucia Highlands AVA).  In my opinion, this wine was absolutely undrinkable.  And, surprise, surprise, or not, this wine hails from the cellars of the Wagner Family of Wines (Caymus...titter, titter).  Who drinks this stuff?  Apparently someone does because the Wagners make 59,000 cases of this plonk.
I'm so glad that there are alternative winemaking styles being employed with Chardonnay nowadays.  I personally never bought into the California style of this the most impressionable of grape varieties.  More choice is always good for the consumer, just don't choose the Mer Soleil.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Interesting, the 2016 TWWIAGE was my favorite Cali Chardonny of last year, and one of my favorites from 2015 was Gary Farrell Russian River Valley Chardonnay.
Puts in doubt the claim that wine is only subjective, at least in my mind.

Thud said...

Hmmmmm, I suspect you are prejudiced, surely the Farrell wine is superior?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Great taste buds think alike?
Seems you are a bit of a wine-detective :)

Thud: I definitely would be prejudiced if his Christian name began with a 'J' :)