Sunday, October 20, 2013

A veritable feast of parties.

Harvest parties that is.  Two down, one to go.
Last night I attended the Napa Valley Small Vineyard Association's harvest party.  It was a relatively simple affair, but it was a welcome opportunity to break bread with friends who all share a love of grape-farming.  Tales of crop yields, grape quality and sugar content abounded.  I'm a total geek, so I was in my element.  And I got to eat a lot of dessert; pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice cupcakes, assorted brownies and two slices of a grape decorated sponge cake. Too much?  Leave me alone, I'm stocking up for winter.
I have always liked the idea of celebrating the harvest, any harvest.  I loved harvest festival when I was little, right down to the diminutive bread mouse on the wheat sheaf shaped loaf that was baked each year as part of the harvest festivities.  Good times.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-girl, special times for you, and thx for sharing such nice memories and moments of celebration, wholesome, whimsical, and almost dreamy!
If more people were able to have such reflective experiences, and appreciate "breaking bread", just maybe our people would be happier!

Thomas said...

In New York State, the Iroquois used to celebrate six separate harvests of six separate crops.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yea, people should perhaps focus on the simpler things in life, good memeories, shared experiences...

Tomasso: I must've been an Iroquois in a former life.