Friday, April 09, 2010

Done and dusted, 2010.

Yesterday, I finished pruning. Today with the help of Vinomaker, I finished tying down the last of the canes. What a relief!
I really enjoy the time I spend pruning in the vineyard, however I am not the fastest pruner in the world and so it takes me a fair amount of time to complete this particular vineyard operation.
I could possibly prune a little quicker, but I do tend to get distracted by any number of things; the Vinodogs, pretty little weeds, birds collecting twigs and mown grass for their nests, and today a skittish little red-backed jumping spider (Phiddippus johnsoni). I often glimpse these dinky arachnids, (I refer to them as 'red-bummed' spiders), furtively darting back and forth on the vineyard floor. I generally do not like spiders, but I endure these little fellows as they are an important component of the predator/prey food web that continues to keep Vinoland's grapevines naturally pest free.

5 comments:

Weston said...

Spiders that Small are ok, but as soon as they come in my house BAM Vacuum Time

Vinogirl said...

I totally agree. If they stay outdoors and leave me alone, I'll leave them alone.

Affer said...

You don't see a lot of blue spiders, do you? So why is Spiderman's outfit mainly blue? It makes it obvious he isn't a REAL spider......

The villager: said...

Are there any dangerous spiders round there, Vinogirl ?

Vinogirl said...

Affer: You have a valid point.

Villager: I have yet another resident Black Widow, this time in the cupboard where I keep my shears and loppers. And on Mt. Diablo (at the base of which is the town of Walnut Creek, which I consider my home town in the US), is one of the largest breeding colonies of tarantulas in N. California...lovely!