Saturday, January 16, 2010

Field Marigold.

I love this little weed. The Calendula arvensis is blooming all around the Napa Valley right now, looking for all the world like a blanket of sunshine on the unmowed vineyard floors. It is such a pretty and cheery looking little plant, much more pleasing to look at than the straggly mustard growing, in many instances, right alongside it.
The field marigold primarily inhabits disturbed coastal and urban sites, but it is expected to greatly expand it's range in California. I hope so: I'd be quite happy to have it inhabit every square inch of Vinoland.

7 comments:

Affer said...

There is a simple elegance to your blog which I greatly admire. And this epitomises it: lovely photo, nice thoughts. I think I shall now survive the winter......

Vinogirl said...

Thank you Mr. Affer, that was very kind of you. What can I say? I do my best to try and keep life simple.

Thud said...

simple is as simple does

Wartime Housewife said...

Calendula Officinalis is also nicknamed Russian penicillin as it has so many medicinal uses. Made into an infusion it can help throat infections, mouth ulcers and oral thrush. It is also used in creams, tinctures etc but they are rather difficult to make at home. It can also be used as a poultice for wounds as it has cicatrizant and styptic qualities. I haven't found any reference to 'arvensis' in any of my own books however,is it a native of America?

Vinogirl said...

WH: Are you referring to what I called in my youth English marigolds (as opposed to African)? They are indeed the same family, (even the caterpillar looking seeds are similar), but the Arvensis is a wild flower and quite small, growing low to the ground.

Wartime Housewife said...

I knew you'd know, Vinogirl!

Ron Combo said...

Lovely little flarz. I am rather fond of dandelions. They are always seem so happy.