Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Eye of toad.

With the recent end of Daylight Saving Time (a week behind the end of British Summer Time), it is now dark when I get home from the winery. Whether it is light or dark when I drive in through the gate, the Vinodogs are always barking and yipping in welcome, but more likely in anticipation of being fed. Tonight I was greeted by a plump, rather happy looking toad that sat in the middle of the path and was quite unperturbed when I bent down and got up close and personal with him. The western toad (Bufo boreas) was also quite happy to wait while I ran into the house and grabbed my camera for a photo op. The Vinodogs were sequestered on the deck so Mr. Toad was quite safe from becoming their dinner...but I did wonder what wine would pair well with Toad-in-the-Hole.

7 comments:

Affer said...

Magnificent photo of Gordon Bro.....oh, no! It's a different kind of toad!

Thud said...

Don't let V2 lick it...crazy enough as she is.

The Wine Mule said...

A wine to accompany toad-in-the-hole. Hmmm. Maybe the Tegernseerhof "Bergdistel" Gruner Veltliner?

Then again, maybe a nice cold Fuller's ESB.

The villager: said...

Great picture, Vinogirl !

There was an item on BBC TV the other night about noisy natterjack toads in the extensive sand dunes near (guess where ?) Southport !

Lord Roby said...

Lucky you.If it was a Natterjack Toad you would still be chasing it now!As for wine to accompany it.How about a bottle Of Chateau Grenouille Grenache my dear Sommeliette!

Weston said...

Good ole Fashion Mead!

Vinogirl said...

Yes Affer, the resemblance is astounding!

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I decided this particular food pairing was best left to the Froggies!