Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Christmas in November?

I received my first Christmas gift today. I know, Halloween was a mere 3 days ago, Bonfire Night is still 2 days hence, and Thanksgiving (if you happen to be an English person who cares about that particular holiday), is yet more than 3 weeks away. But Christmas is looming large already; on telly commercials, in the shops and apparently, on the mind of my own personal Santa! An extremely generous co-worker left a rather large, gift-wrapped package for me at the winery, with the instruction to open it and enjoy it with my family before Christmas, if I wished. So open it I did, but only after I nearly threw my back out picking it up!
What was it? Oh, just a 6 litre bottle of 1998 La Vita Lucente. This Sangiovese/Merlot blend from Tuscany was the brainchild of Florence’s Lamberto Frescobaldi and Napa Valley’s Robert Mondavi when they united their efforts in 1995 to create a world class Italian wine.
I happen to love Italian wines, so this is going to be interesting...I just need to quickly organise a party to aid in the polishing off of what is the equivalent of eight bottles of wine. Any volunteers?

12 comments:

Weston said...

I Volunteer 1!

Thud said...

I'm in.

monkey said...

im booking the ticket has i type

Trubes said...

Crikey Vinogirl, That's a whopper!

Hope it's a goodun.

Di.

Joe Roberts said...

Ok, how do I get in on this... :)

Vinogirl said...

OK, so that's 4 or 5 people...myself and Vinomaker makes perhaps 7...that's one bottle each thereabouts...we're all good :)

Winedude, thanks for visiting Vinsanity.

The Wine Mule said...

I think maybe I should get to know this "extremely generous co-worker." This is definitely the kind of generosity I could get into.

Have fun with it! (Like you need encouragement...)

Vinogirl said...

WineMule: Folks in Napa are very generous, but this lady in particular surpasses most.

I still think I need more people...I mean, you can't open just one bottle (no matter how large), at a party ;)

The villager: said...

Are you heading back to England for Christmas ?

Vinogirl said...

Villager, unfortunately no. But why do you ask, did you want to get on the volunteer list? :)

The villager: said...

Will you still have a proper Christmas Dinner over there ?

Vinogirl said...

I get by with a fair facsimile of the real thing (thank goodness Oxo's and dried mushy peas are good travellers!)