Monday, May 06, 2013

Fight or flight.

Today was not a particularly good day in Vinoland.  We had quite a bit of rain this afternoon - so that's the most recent application of sulphur washed off.  Drat!  And my day began with the sight of two deer parading around the vineyard, munching on the Pinot grigio and Cabernet Sauvignon shoots - the shoots that I had painstakingly spent all weekend stuffing up under the trellis wires.  Double drat!  The panicked, young buck repeatedly rammed the deer-fence in an attempt to escape and was looking a little worse for wear by the time he finally exited through the main gate, which Vinomaker had opened for that purpose.  It was a most upsetting day.

5 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

Those deer will have a whacker of a hangover tonight. I for one have sworn off that kind of midday drinking.

Thud said...

OK. how did they get into stallag luft napa?

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, I havetwo movies that say I understand:
Sarah, Plain and Tall

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102842/?ref_=sr_1

And: Old Yeller

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050798/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I wish I could help:(

Vinogirl said...

ALW: God forbid the deer get a taste for actual wine rather than just grape leaves...we'll never keep them out!

Thud: I think the man-gate blew open and they simply strolled in :(

NHW: I was, at the same time, amazed and appalled at the intensity of the buck's 'flight' response...I hope it recovers, it was pretty gruesome.

Craig Justice said...

Giant grass hoppers.