Thursday, September 22, 2016

Go Vatican!

I borrowed the title of this post from a teaser in the subject line of Karen MacNeil's (author of the Wine Bible) weekly e-zine, Winespeed (September 16th issue).  I subscribed to Winespeed a few months ago, but of late it has become something of a mini-obsession with me - I just love it and look forward to it arriving in my inbox each Friday.
Winespeed is packed with fascinating wine facts and tidbits of vinous information.  It's a fun, snappy read; included therein is a weekly wine recommendation, a 'Wine Question of the Week' and the 'Verbatim' feature - a quote from some or other wine-personage.  And other good stuff.  So what was so interesting to me about the 'Go Vatican!' item in Winespeed?  Everything, it's the type of wine-factoid that I just geek-out on.
"16.  Number of gallons of wine consumed per person annually in the Vatican City State--the highest per capita consumption of any country in the world.  Only 836 people live in the Vatican, but the country's voluminous wine usage is partly the result of the Catholic celebration in which bread and wine are consecrated during the Mass.  By comparison, U.S. per capita wine consumption is about 3 gallons."
Anyone interested can subscribe to Winespeed here.
Oh, and happy first day of autumn!

13 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I'm guessing that the wines consumed in the country of the Vatican are mostly red. ;)

Thomas said...

..and mostly Italian.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: :)

Thud said...

wine and bread....and the Vatican,what could be better.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: I dunno, they may be drinking some of that Grechetto of yours :) At the very least, I would think a Trebbiano, or two.

Tomasso: I would hope so.

Thud: Wine, bread and the Vatican...three of my very favourite things.

Thomas said...

On second thought, considering the Pope, could be Argentine wine.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: Ha!

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Perhaps Pope Francis is a locavore when it comes to wine.

Thomas said...

"Locavore" sounds like Spanish mixed with Italian ...

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Maybe he strays and has a nice Rioja every now and again.

Thomas said...

VG: There is a sizable Italian community in Argentina. Spanish and Italian often blend.

Many years ago while visitng Asolo, in Italy, I overheard a group speaking in what sounded like Italian tinged with Spanish. I asked where they were from. You guessed it.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: So what would you call that, Spantalian?

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I'm enjoying this game. ;)