Thursday, November 05, 2015

Shark Tank.

This evening's wine marketing class was rather intense and I couldn't wait for it to be over.  As threatened, all four groups in the marketing class had to once again present their midterm projects.  This time however, we had to present them to a panel of five big-wigs which included, e.g., the President of Napa Valley College and a highfalutin Napa lawyer (whose inclusion was decidedly apropos, methinks).
It was all a bit chaotic and nerve-racking.  The Sharks wasted no time in finding fault with some of the ideas being proffered, at times even interrupting the student-presenters mid-sentence (that doesn't happen on the telly).  And some of the comments were really quite brutal, or, as the head of the Viticulture & Winery Technology programme, (a panelist himself), described them, candid.  Ouch!
By the time it came to my groups turn (now down to just three bodies as our fourth member was away on a business trip), it was already after 9 pm. Last week I had made the decision that my group would present our business plan first. However, this week I definitely felt that it was in our best tactical-interest to go last.  Standing at the front of the class, facing all the other students who now looked shell-shocked and tired, I knew I had made the right decision.  By now, it was patently obvious that everyone just wanted to toddle off home and that included the Sharks.
That's not to say that because of the late hour that my group's presentation was not well received; once again, our business plan was the least criticised of the four and the Sharks absolutely loved our redesign of the college's wine label.  One tiny criticism though, from the lawyer-Shark, was that the font on our blog was too small and it was strongly suggested that we look up somebody called Guy Kawasaki on the internet.  In return, I suggested to Mr. Lawyer-Shark that he should have brought along his opera glasses.
Hopefully, I won't have to think about this midterm project, or swim with sharks, ever again.

7 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Great reading, and I'm sure you're glad that it's Fin-ished! Think about it: sinking your teeth into wine marketing made for a sink or swim exercise.

Thomas said...

Should've brought a harpoon.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: "Fin-ished"...wish I'd thought of that ha, ha!

Tomasso: Nah, didn't want to get any closer to these man-eaters than I had to.

Thud said...

You do put yourself through it.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I know.
When, and if, I take another class I will check first to make sure there are no group projects involved.

Thud said...

yes, you working with a group of weird strangers for free seems to go against the grain somewhat.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I like to perform acts of charity from time to time, titter, titter!