Friday, March 27, 2015

Miniature lupine.

Yet again I have discovered a new, blue wildflower in Vinoland.  Just when I thought I had made the acquaintance of all the blue-flowered wildflowers that happen to bloom on the more unkempt parts of the property, I found the diminutive miniature lupine (Lupinus bicolor).  I literally tripped over this little flower, in an attempt not to tread on it, whilst I was admiring the Bowltube Iris which had flowered nearby earlier in the week.  When I steadied myself and looked around I saw a lot of miniature lupine with their slightly tropical looking palmate leaves, hairy buds and deep purple-blue sweet pea-like flowers.  So cute.
I am still waiting for the reappearance of one other blue wildflower which has been very elusive these past few springs.  I have a photograph of this mystery wildflower, but I want to make sure I see it again before posting about it.  Only then will I be satisfied that I have exhausted all the blue wildflowers in my little corner of wildflower-heaven.  But then again.

5 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Nicely photographed too!

Thomas said...

You are still killing me, but that is one fine photograph.

We are having such a cold spring our primrose haven't even made their appearance, and they usually can be seen around here in early February.

I'm expecting the bluebells in the pet cemetery won;t be around for quite some time.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Thanks, but...

Tomasso: Thanks, but it was quite breezy and difficult to focus.
I know we need rain here, but the weather has been spectacular.
Love bluebells. Pet cemeteries, not so much :(

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Wind is the bane of those photographing wildflowers, but making a picturesque photo (using higher shutter speeds and minimum apertures) instead of a true nature photo (having all the details) is a worthy alternative and often more pleasant to look at. So no quasi apologies necessary!
Something to try though:
camera on tripod
windy cloudy day
aperture set at F36 or smaller
shutter speed should read between 10-30 seconds, but adjust as necessary
ISO 100 or less
focus
fill-in flash
above and slightly behind slave main flash

Results: Just may be spectacular!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Ooh, sounds a bit complicated. Have not studied flash-photography, suppose I'd better start experimenting.