Monday, January 12, 2015

Still, Grenache.

I just keep on coming back to this wine varietal.  The Miner Family 2012, Sierra Foothills, Grenache was really, really nice this past Friday night (with homemade pizza) and still nice, two days later, last night (with chicken and roasted vegetables).  A medium-bodied Grenache, this grape variety is probably more suited to the growing conditions in the Sierra Foothills than here in Napa.  A very easy to drink wine.
I find that Miner Family do a very consistent job with all of their wines, (except for a bottle of their Sangiovese I had once).
I bought this Grenache, one bottle only, just before Christmas at a 50% off industry only sale at the winery.  I wish I'd purchased more, but I know where there is more to be had.

7 comments:

Thomas said...

Maybe I've posted this before, but to me, Grenache is a more interesting variety than either Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.

Have you ever tasted Chateau Rayas wines?

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: If I may get in on the conversation with my limited experience?
Logic might wonder why Grenache is vaunted as a great blending wine (I know so is Cab-but-but. . .), and why Tempranillo isn't even more stated as interesting; I have had many a good Grenache, but never one that could compare with the great Cabernet Sauvignon wines I've had, or even Zinfandel.
Could it be that familiarity breeds contempt?

Thomas said...

Dennis:

Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt, but the answer is more that aesthetics are subjective.

I never argue that what I like has merit over what someone else likes--that's why I preface with "to me" when I mention what I like. I don't even use the phrase "in my opinion" because I believe an opinion is useless unless backed up with facts, and since aesthetics are subjective, facts only serve to support one's opinion anyway.

Plus, I used the word "interesting." Now there's one that can be interpreted many ways. Grenache is far more multifaceted than Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot (its range of possibilities is referenced in its many forms throughout the many regions in which it is produced), and that is of interest TO ME!

Your mileage may vary--and apparently it does ;)

Still: Try Rayas.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: I have always been a huge Châteauneuf-du-Pape fan (though not quite as big of a fan as my brother), but unfortunately Château Rayas is a little out of my price range. I'll take your word for it that it is delicious.

NHW: Keep imbibing: your "limited experience" will eventually become less limited :)

Tomasso: Well phrased opinion on "opinion" :)

Thomas said...

VG:

If only the wine blogging world understood the difference between expressing an opinion and expressing a fact-based opinion. But then, that would create a blog dearth...

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: You are not going to like my next post then which will be opinion heavy, (mine and someone elses), and fact-lite.

Thomas said...

We'll see ;)