Friday, January 02, 2015

A layer of frosting.

My traditional New Year walk through the vineyard was delayed by a day, but better late than never.  Of course, I did choose the coldest morning so far this winter, it was a nippy 26°F.  But V2 and I braved the cold and went for a brisk morning constitutional.  The vines, weeds and fallen grape leaves all looked very pretty with their slight sugar-like coating that sparkled in the rays of the rising wintry-sun.
It's a little too early to be thinking about pruning yet.  A lot of local vineyards are already pre-pruned and I noticed a Chardonnay vineyard, a quite sizeable one at that, close to downtown Napa that is already fully pruned.  I, myself, would be a tiny bit concerned about the pruning wounds and infection of those wounds, especially on cordon pruned vines.  But then, what do I know?  Besides, I always like to wait until the last minute, and then panic.
A happy 2015 to all!

8 comments:

Thud said...

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG said with word-smithy flare: "The vines, weeds and fallen grape leaves all looked very pretty with their slight sugar-coating that sparkled in the rays of the rising wintry-sun." "Friends" of the blogosphere: behold poetry "penned"!
VG: I know you 'hate' that, but still, as a writer, I'm your biggest fan and encourager :-)

Thomas said...

Yes, indeed Dennis, VG can turn a phrase or two...and back it up with a fine photo.

Here on the East Coast, winter is thus far mild--relatively speaking, of course.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: It's agreed on! :-)
Glad to see you haven't given-up on visiting and defying google!

Thomas said...

Dennis:

The captcha problem seems to have been rectified. Maybe my threat scared the h** outta Google ;)

Thomas said...

Interesting how that works. I typed sh** but it came out h""

About Last Weekend said...

Really nippy out this way too! Heating on 75 (I know...I know, I'm a wimp)

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I may have to call in the Home Guard for help :)

NHW & Tomasso: Thank you!

ALW: Well, you're excused, you just left summer behind in NZ.