Sunday, November 30, 2014

Halloween wine?

I know it's a month past Halloween.  But this Transylvanian wine could be just the thing for future Halloween festivities except for one little fact; this wine is in no way scary, despite it's origin.
Whilst I was away in England, Vinomaker did quite a bit of wine-shopping.  The Recas, 2013, Fetească Regală (Transylvania, Romania) was just one of the interesting wines he purchased.  Not one to pass up an opportunity to test my taste buds, Vinomaker poured a glass of this wine for me and waited for me to play our Four Vees (varietal, valley, vintage and value) game.  Well, I failed miserably.  I was able to guess the vintage, but I had not one, single clue as to the wines origin, grape variety or price ($6.49 as it happens).  Opting for a domestic Viognier, for about $18, imagine how surprised I was to find out that I was drinking a Romanian wine.  And a wine made from a grape variety that I have never heard of.
Bright, peachy and delicately floral, this wine was really, really lovely.  Amazingly, I have since read that Romania is one of the world's largest wine producers.  Who would've thunk it?  Not me.  Fetească Regală is a nice little (fright) surprise.

5 comments:

Thomas said...

Sounds nice. Wish I could find it here.

Romania and Hungary were the last Roman outposts to benefit from Roman grape growing and winemaking. Unfortunately for Romania, it always had to take a back seat to Hungary's fame.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl: The Carpathian mountains and the Black sea slopes are supposed to be great for growing both red and white wines, but I have yet to see any of them in NH; I'll be sure to grab any I can find.

Thomas: excellent historical notes. I believe that Romanians speak a Romance languages well.

Thomas said...

Dennis:

Did you know that the Emperor Probus was killed by his legions in the vineyards of Syrmia--Hungary?

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: Now I do!

VG: Raining ... and dogs?

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Love those Romans.

NHW: Haven't had a red (that I can remember), but this white was fun.
Yes, rain :(