Saturday, December 07, 2013

Hot Havana Nights!

Tonight was the annual TTWIAGE Christmas shindig.  My co-workers and I enjoyed an evening of food and festivity in the historic barrel room (the site of the Groezinger Winery in Yountville, built in 1870).
The theme this year was Hot Havana Nights, so each table was fittingly decorated with Carmen Miranda-like headgear (replete with grapes of course), fresh gardenias for the ladies, chocolate-cigars for the men, and feather boas (I have secretly always wanted a feather boa).  Mrs TTWIAGE's intention was that the polystyrene foam heads would be relieved of their sparkly-fruit salad at some point during the evening.  And that's just what happened: as the evening wore on much silliness ensued. 
Good fun was had by all.  And I got to take a feather boa home.

8 comments:

Thomas said...

I'll bet that few knew that Carmen Miranda was Brazilian.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Fewer still that she was actually Portuguese.

Thud said...

smartarse.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, so glad you don't have to feed your light-weight snake. Glad to get a peek at "high society":-)
Now, when you take a picture like that (in public) do you ever feel self-conscious?

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Just informed - VM and I were discussing it at dinner and laughing about the fact that she wasn't Cuban

NHW: I think my little V2 will be safe with this boa in the house.
Sometimes I do get self-conscious about taking pictures in public, silly, but true. However, I have worked with most of these people for so long that I am comfortable doing stuff around them.

Thomas said...

VG:

You are correct, she was Portuguese, for the first ten months of her life.

Thomas said...

I think the fact that she represented a Cuban in the movies not only made people think that she was Cuban--it made many Cubans hate her!

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: That would explain why her films were only popular in the USA (apparently she was the highest paid female in America in 1945).