Friday, August 09, 2013

A noxious weed.

This is a noxious weed, indeed.  And the bane of the Vinodogs.  The spines on the fruit of the puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris) are apparently tough enough to puncture bicycle tyres, not to mention the soft little pawsies of my girls.  This wretchedly, sneaky weed has a prostrate growing habit, so I often don't notice it until a Vinodog comes to an abrupt halt whilst on a walk, pathetically offering up an afflicted paw for help.  Each fruit separates into 5 vile, wedge-shaped burrs and it is the spikes on these that are so treacherous.  Although the burrs may look somewhat like a botanical mace, the weed does not wield them like the medieval weapon, but rather uses them as a device by which to disperse seeds - in tyres, on clothing, or on the Vinodogs.  Ouch!  
In summer these weeds are nuisance enough.  But even in winter, after the plant has died, these nasty little burrs remain on the dried stems, or on the surface of the soil, lying in wait for some poor, unsuspecting soul.  Or at least they were.  Vinomaker was kind enough to don a pair of heavy duty gloves and pull out a few puncturevines he found by our mailbox.  The Vinodogs, and I, thank you!

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl has lost sleep over these "every rose has it's thorns", and though our doggies faith in us is touching we'll be just as happy to forgo that exercise in dependence, and manually reduce the curse until it's time for a good SB!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: They hurt! It was impossible not to prick myself when trying to clear up the burrs that fell off the plants that were removed. And apparently, I wasn't totally successful, as poor V2 located one I had missed when we were on our a.m. walk. Having a cold glass of SB after our p.m. walk will make me feel all better.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, I am familiar with Tribulus terrestris, and I've experience first foot/hand; along with green headed and horse flies, it reminds me of the planet Pandora:)

Vinogirl said...

NHW: I had to look up the green-headed fly, had never heard of it before. But I have been bitten by a horse fly - it was like someone punched me in the upper arm!