Saturday, September 15, 2012


I lied.  I drank something other than a Californian wine last night. Couldn't help myself.  With all this talk of my Wines of the World class I just felt I had to go Français with dinner.  
My Favourite winemaker, that'd be Vinomaker, is a huge Viognier fan and had recently procured a single bottle of (long story) a Mathilde et Yves Gangloff, 2010 Condrieu.  Vinomaker has been dying to try this wine for a while, but our schedules have been hectic.  Finally, last night the stars aligned and the time was ripe for our Condrieu event.  Wow!  What a great wine. Luscious, ultimately very drinkable, apricots and creamy-custard loveliness, all in all very typically Viognier.
I can't imagine any of the students in my class turning their noses up at this little fruitily-aromatic marvel, or describing it as too thin or too acidic.  I would think they'd at least recognise the new and slightly excessive cooperage on the bouquet which, in my estimation, is this splendid wines only (minor) flaw.


Thud said...

Brave of you venturing offshore.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Not at all. I seem to remember imbibing in something Italian whilst you were here.