Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What's up buttercup?

Having seemingly exhausted the supply of blue-flowered weeds in Vinoland, my favourites, I am moving on to weeds with yellow coloured corollas.  I suspect, however, that there will be some little blue beauty that will catch my eye later in the year. There are plenty of lilac/lavendar coloured weeds flowering right now, like filaree, wild radish and mallow, but it's on to the yellow weeds I go.
First up for spring is the California Buttercup (Ranunculus californicus).  Bright and cheery, this unassuming little blossom is currently dotting the hillside that extends behind the Vinoland residence.  Not to be confused with the familiar Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens) that is invasive in English lawns, this California Ranunculacea can grow up to 70 cm in height and has as many as 7-20 petals per flower.  Very cheery indeed.

2 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V Girl, you're beginning to remind me of Annie Dillard.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Pilgrim_at_Tinker_Creek.html?id=e_Na1k1CoR8C

Vinogirl said...

NHwineman: Nah! I've always been a geek.