Sunday, August 14, 2011

Napa nest 4.

Working in the Pinot grigio vines this afternoon, I came across this little architectural masterpiece. Woven from a diminutive grass variety, and lined with what looks like Vinodog fur, the nest is too large to be a hummingbird's nest and too small to be that of a California Towhee. There is not a shred of evidence left inside, like an eggshell fragment, or a downy feather, that would help me identify the builder. I will just have to keep on guessing as to the identity of the mystery mastermind behind this marvelous construction, who was genius enough to utilise the vine's tendrils as structural anchors.

8 comments:

Cesar Valverde said...

Big hummingbird's my guess... Or a small Towhee... 'Tho I'm no great expert (as you may have guessed).

Loving the vineyard posts and pics. Things I know very little about and very interesting. Cheers.

Vinogirl said...

Hummingbirds dive bomb...within an inch of your nose sometimes, so I would be very afraid if they were larger!
Stay tuned, more vineyard posts upcoming...

Thomas said...

Hummingbirds conjure jet fighters with helicopter wings.

I have no idea which bird owned the nest, just wanted to spout off about hummingbirds, whom I adore. I watch them flit and dart when they go after my honeysuckle flowers.

There's a nature museum in Ontario, Canada--near Niagara Falls--that includes a hummingbird section. Such fun.

Do Bianchi said...

that is the best véraison shot I've seen this year! awesome work! :)

Do Bianchi said...

now that's terroir! :)

Affer said...

Could it be the nest of a Napa Grape Tit?

Vinogirl said...

Thomas: Hummingbirds are great, and living in California, we are fortunate in that they do not fly south in winter. Happily, they are year round residents.

2B: Thank you.

Affer: Funny, but no. I don't even think it is the nest of a plain titmouse of which there are plenty in Vinoland.

Lord Roby said...

My money is on a Rusty Grackle.Check out your Audobon book of birds!