Thursday, January 01, 2009

The year in preview.

When most people are still thinking up New Year resolutions that they may or may not keep, I decided to take a more practical approach to the year ahead.
Accompanied by the Vinodogs, I took a stroll through the vineyard to assess the amount of pruning work to be done in the near future. Due to the fact that white wine grape varieties bud out earlier than red wine grapes, I paid particular attention to our Pinot grigio and Orange muscat vines. The Syrah usually displays bud break a whole 2 weeks before the Cabernet Sauvignon, (which is clone 4), so I most likely have at least 4-5 weeks before I have to start to prune either red varietal. Even then I will prune the vines higher up on our hill than those down by the creek to lessen the chance of damage by late frosts.
I really like pruning the vines. It is said that it is the one most important thing that you do to the vine as you are determining the crop and vegetation for the year ahead.
The vines are very forgiving, if I get a little over zealous with my shears, which has happened in the past, they grow back next year, tah rah!!!

6 comments:

Vinomaker said...

I have had reports of dogs assisting in pruning grapevines but not necessarily in the best locations to encourage quality fruit production. Perhaps you can offer some remedial training or direct them to work on an acacia tree.

Vinogirl said...

Alas, it is indeed true that some vines in the vineyard succumbed to V2's puppy teeth last spring/summer. She did have a knack for chewing right through the graft union...which makes me think she may be smart enough to be trained to rid us of the acacia in the creek and on the perimeter.
You've reminded me that besides pruning, I have some replanting to do.

Fred Fibonacci said...

Great post Vinogirl; so instructive. Know what you mean about pruning. Deeply therapeutic, all that cutting away dead wood and encouraging renewal.

Talking of which, I had to renew one of Ron Combo's jackets, my dog having eaten it. He went on to eat Bernard Breslau's hat, and a pair of my shoes now I come to think of it. He did grow up eventually, and settled on dog food. He'd have loved your vineyard. Happy New Year Vinogirl, from a bitterly cold London.

Vinogirl said...

Happy New Year Fred.
Sounds like a wonderful dog story, especially if it includes any of the cast from the 'Carry On' films....firm favourites as a child. You must be great fun at a party!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Ron Combo said...

Yes it was a rather nice jacket. Stratford-upon-Avon as I remember. happy New year Vinogirl and good pruning!

Vinogirl said...

Sounds like a very interesting story...one you'd like to hear with a good bottle of vino :)
Happy New Year Ron, your weather looks wonderful.