Friday, November 20, 2009

Christmas in November: 2.

What do you do on a rainy November day in Napa? You go and do some early Christmas shopping, of course. There is a gift faire being held at the Napa Fairgrounds this weekend and although I don't normally have the inclination to attend such things, I kept a possible visit in the back of my mind as I thought my mother may enjoy it. I had to go over to Napa Fermentation Supplies to buy some drilled barrel bungs, and seeing as the faire was being held right next door, my mother and I did indeed decide to stop in and see what was for sale.
I really did not expect much, and to be quite honest there was a lot of dust-collecting nonsense being offered, but one particular stall caught my eye. Some enterprising young woman had come up with the idea of making jewellery, wind chimes, money-clips, candle holders etc. from old silverware. I had to take a second look because it was not immediately apparent that the goods she was tendering for sale were made out of old, unwanted silver utensils. Very clever indeed.
On a nice display rack, about 100 bracelets sparkled and beckoned to me to come and take a peek. My mother slyly asked me which one I liked and I immediately zeroed in on the only one that happened to have grapes on it, and which in a former life had been the handles of two old spoons . The bracelet is now mine. Thanks mum!

4 comments:

The villager: said...

Sounds like a great way of recycling old cutlery !

Ten Dollar Wine Mamma said...

I love it. Nice to know the spoons found a good home!

Wartime Housewife said...

I absolutely love that and I would imagine every piece is unique. It's so gratifying to come across really creative people like that isn't it?

Vinogirl said...

Villager: Better than chucking them in the bin!

TDWM: Welcome to Vinsanity, it's a good place to be.

WH: All her pieces were absolutely one of a kind and fabulous. Extremely creative lady.