Monday, April 06, 2015

Happy California Poppy Day, 2015.

The California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica) was named in 1816 by naturalist Adelbert Von Chamisso, who upon sailing into San Francisco Bay found the surrounding California hills covered in golden flowers. Proclaimed the state flower in 1903 'California Poppy Day' is celebrated every April 6th, but I bet a lot of people don't know that.  
I'm going to be thinking nice flowery-thoughts all day as I wish as many people as possible, Happy California Poppy Day!

9 comments:

Thud said...

I hope mine come up again.

Thomas said...

Although it remains below normal temps, we've made it!

The bulbs are popping and the peepers are noise-making.

This weekend, I might even be able to turn on the water to the garden area.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

We've got up to 3 inches of snow on the way; no April's fooling!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: They were still blooming when I was home in October. They self-seed very easily.

Tomasso: Congratulations, winter didn't kill you! First go round of blooms on some rose bushes are finishing.

NHW: We had almost 2 inches of rain on Sunday/Tuesday.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I'm glad to hear about the rain!
Everything we are hearing about Cali is drought and more drought!

Thomas said...

The asparagus patch beckons for my attention...gotta go!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yup, pretty dry here, need more than 2 inches.

Tomasso: Ooh, love spring asparagus.

Thomas said...

VG:

Soon, we will be peeing in living aroma...

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Ah, asparagus wee, know it well :)