Sunday, June 22, 2014

Debitum naturae.

In a quiet corner of Vinoland, forlornly leaning against a California live oak, several dead (or dying) Cabernet sauvignon vines await their final fate - the wood chipper, sigh.  I always find it sad when grapevines have to be removed, but for a number of reasons nature just runs it's course; viruses, the health of the initial plant material, gopher blight etc.  There are many things that can cause a grapevine to decline and eventually die.  Nothing lives forever.
So instead of gadding about the Napa Valley like a tourist (although I enjoyed myself immensely yesterday), I spent today in the vineyard.  I performed small jobs, training up some young vines and stuffing shoots, whilst Vinomaker dug out the vines that were to be replaced.  It was a hard job removing them, as the vines had taken a firm hold in Vinoland (even though the rootstock is the relatively shallow 101-14).  I, of course, helped in a supervisory capacity.

2 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: Cool picture with that rather old, but Live oak (Roble?), contrast between its shaded trunk and the sunshine on the vines to the right and rear, and of course the undertaker's shovel, an omen pending those sad Cabernet vines :-(
You like the advisory role?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: No, not Quercus lobata. The California live oak, Quercus agrifolia, is evergreen.
I honestly didn't notice the shovel, it lives in that spot permanently.
And yes, I like advising better than shoveling, although I do my fair share!