Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blue Plate Special.

Once upon a time, Chenin blanc was the most widely planted grape cultivar in California.  These days it's almost impossible to find a bottle of this appealing white wine which has it's origins in the Vouvray appellation in the Touraine district of the Loire.
Blue Plate Chenin blanc, is the creation of three wine-loving friends - Grant Hemingway, Jeff Anderson and Zach Bryant collectively plying their respective trades of viticulturist, marketer and winemaker as Picnic Wine Company - who source their grapes from a vineyard in the Clarksburg AVA which is located in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta.
Featuring an original piece of artwork on the label, by artist Julia Zmed, Blue Plate's first vintage in 2010 was a blend of Chenin blanc, Sauvignon blanc and Chardonnay and retailed for a very reasonable $10.  The 2011, in my opinion is better than the first vintage, contains no Chardonnay (yay!), and retails for a still reasonable sum of $11.  Just 12 % alcohol (yay again!).  No oak. No ML. Plenty of drinkability with it's soft-peachy-fruitiness, this is a charming glass of wine.  
I think I may have found my new summer white.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm both thrilled and humbled by the positive things you have to say about our wine--there is often so much white noise in the making and selling of a product, that it is remarkably refreshing to cut through all that and really connect with someone's palate. It is the reason we do what we do. Cheers!

phlegmfatale said...

Sounds delightful, and I LOVE the label! I wonder if I can find it in Texas?

Vinogirl said...

Zach: Thanks for the thanks. It's a really nice wine, you deserve praise.

Phlegmmy: Go to your favourite wine shop and ask...you'll be doing yourself, and the boys at Blue Plate, a favour.

justmelaura said...

As the owner of The Blue Plate Special Cafe and Curiosity Shop (South Orange, NJ) I absolutely have to get a case or five. Where do you distribute in the Northern NJ area? I frequently do extensive food and wine pairings with my catering company and it would be fun to feature this.
Laura Nichols
Owner, Chef
The Blue Plate Special Cafe
A Gracious Event Catering

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for all the kind words! Laura, we are distributed through Regal Wine in NJ - regalwine.com - if you need a point of contact, please feel free to send a note to us through blueplatewines.com

Best,

Jeff

Vinogirl said...

Laura: Welcome to Vinsanity. Please email me and I'll pass your info on to the Blue Plate boys.