Friday, June 08, 2012

The state of the union?

The state of this Cabernet sauvignon graft union is rather good: the cambium of the stock and that of the scion appear to be calloused perfectly.
I have been busy performing some odds and ends of vineyard operations the past couple of days, which has included the training up of a few Cabernet and Syrah vines that I field-budded last September.  Meanwhile, Vinomaker has been entertaining himself by replacing broken valves, and failed drip irrigation hose and emitters, to ensure that the vines will have an adequate water supply during the coming summer months.  Although, Vinomaker didn't seem that entertained.  I think I got the better of the vineyard chores.  Sorry Vinomaker!

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

V-Girl, I'm always amazed at just how much you do (boundless energy)! The photo of the graft has peeked my curiosity; so I have a question:Does the original graft have a 'cast' around it until the living tissues make a bond? If so, I would love to see a photo of that.

Thomas said...

Wonderful close up of the graft.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Take a look at this post:

http://vinsanity-vino.blogspot.com/2008/09/ouch-that-hurts.html

Or click on the 'field budding' label at the end of the post and you will see a selection of posts concerned with that particular vineyard op.

Thomas: Thanks. I thought it was a good photo as it clearly shows the close match of stock and scion and also some soft green tissue that has yet to callous.