Thursday, August 26, 2010

A day in the vineyard.

I have been drinking too much wine of late and have not been paying enough attention to the work of growing the grapes that become the wine. I remedied that a little today by doing some small jobs in the vineyard that could be put off no longer.
One small but necessary task was the removal of milk cartons that I had placed over vines this spring, vines that were field-budded last September, after determining if the grafted bud was viable. I then trained and tied each liberated young vine up a stake.
It looks like I will have about a dozen vines to field-bud this year. The demise of several of the vines seems to be gopher related. The other vines seem to have simply expired.


Do Bianchi said...

beyond English wine, what have ya'll been drinking? inquiring minds... :-)

Vinogirl said...

2B: Quite a mix of'll have to stay tuned!

Do Bianchi said...

I most certainly will stay tuned! :-)

latest-wine-cellar-innovations said...

It was just timely that you visit your vineyard. I'm sure they loved the attention Vinogirl.

Vinogirl said...

LWCI: Welcome to Vinsanity.
I have a lot of catching up to do in the vineyard...I hope the vines will be happy with all the attention they are about to receive!