Saturday, May 07, 2011

An afternoon in a vineyard.

I spent some time today amongst grapevines though not in Vinoland, but in somebody else's vineyard for a change.
The 11th annual 'Afternoon in the Vineyards' was held today, so I took a break from suckering the vines to pop along to a local vineyard, accompanied by Vinomaker, to see what was happening out in the great, wide world. Usually, these events turn into nothing more than your common or garden wine tasting, so on the way there I determined that I was going to find someone to talk to about the vineyard...and I was in luck. Having a chat with the proprietor Tim Darrin was fun, but the real treat for me was getting to pick the vineyard manager Michael Wolf's brain.
Mr. Wolf has been involved in the development and management of Californian vineyards for over 30 years: he knows his stuff. Rootstock selection, permanent wilting point, field capacity, apical dominance, unilateral cordon training, adventitious buds...someone, please, stop me!
I was having way too much fun. I am such a vine-nerd!

7 comments:

Affer said...

I don't think talking with experts qualifies you as a vine-nerd! It's not like you are aiming for quiz-show celebrity - you are one of those people who learns things because it might help you pursue your interests....."A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle."

Thud said...

Yes you certainly are, now do something with it.

Thomas said...

You are the kind of nerd that makes me smile. You seek knowledge--a rare bird indeed.

I am forced, however, to resort to imploring you on your blog, as you don't read your email with frequency.

Sent you an email last week about my upcoming trip to your neighborhood.

About Last Weekend said...

Love meeting people like you who are so into their profession! So inspiring!

Vinogirl said...

Affer: I love experts, I can appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to master a particular subject. And, hopefully I can continue to learn from them.

Thud: I'm working on it.

Thomas: I feel sorry for people who don't have inquisitive minds...my brother and I recently had a conversation about how curious it is that some people are just not, well, curious!

ALW: I would agree, experts are inspiring...and they get paid to do what they love.

Do Bianchi said...

we're all glad for your inner wine nerd! :-) glad you took time out to enjoy yourself...

Vinogirl said...

Affer: I love experts, I can appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to master a particular subject. And, hopefully I can continue to learn from them.

Thud: I'm working on it.

Thomas: I feel sorry for people who don't have inquisitive minds...my brother and I recently had a conversation about how curious it is that some people are just not, well, curious!

ALW: I would agree, experts are inspiring...and they get paid to do what they love.

2B: Thanks :)