Friday, August 28, 2009

Reunited.

Vinogirl was 17 years old when she first received a copy of Hugh Johnson's Wine as a gift from her brother, Thud. As a novice wine enthusiast, she was enthralled by this simple, yet comprehensive, account of all things wine. Unfortunately, about 11 years ago she was separated from her original copy. But, never fear...Amazon is here.
Oh, the joys of Amazon.com. Little did I think that I would own a copy of this book ever again, as it has been out of print for some time. Lo and behold, today in my mailbox there appeared a large padded manila envelope containing a hardback copy, in excellent condition, of one of my favourite wine books of all time...for the grand total of $4.51.
Oh joy, together again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just read your blog for the first time. I know very little about wine, except how to drink quite a lot of it and I really enjoyed your posts and lovely photographs. I hope your ear is better!

Vinogirl said...

Oh, but drinking it is the best part...and thanks, my ear is much better :)

Thud said...

Ah!...Amazon new and used....a great way to idle an hour and spend a quid or two,enjoy...again!

Vinogirl said...

I am enjoying it again, a couple of things are dated, but he's still a great writer. Just finished 'A Life Uncorked'...thanks again brother dear.

Ron Combo said...

He's such a wonderful writer isn't he? I wish I had had a brother who would have given me a book by Johnson at such a crucial age. The only thing my brother ever gave me was a severe pain in the neck. Lucky Vinogirl and well done Thud!

Vinogirl said...

He is a great writer. Recently finished his 'A Life Uncorked' he has such a wonderful, easy going, conversational way of writing.
Thud ain't too bad either!

Artist's Muse said...

This takes me back to a school trip when I was 11 years old. I bought this book as a gift for my father which used up the small amount of money we were allowed to take with us. I must ask him immediately if he still has it in his possession!

Vinogirl said...

Muse, your father can count himself a fortunate man if he still has this wonderful book in his possession...and may I congratulate you on your great taste in wine writers, even as an 11 year old!