Monday, August 31, 2020

Tasty grapes.

I probably didn't have to get my refractometer out today and perform a sugar sample of the Pinot grigio (PG).  Nope, I really should have known that the PG grapes were very close to maturity, and thus harvest, by simply observing my chickens' behaviour of late.  Yup, my six girls are really enjoying the ripening grapes.  Rather unfortunate, that.
There is a retaining wall at the top of the PG block and Lizzie, Pansy, Maro, Annie, Rosie and Gracie seem quite content to sit there and snack away to their little hearts' content.  The rachis in the photograph is picked clean, absolutely nekkid.  Full clusters on the far side of the vine that they cannot reach are still intact.  And I thought I had problems with the wild bird population.  Hmmph.
I sampled anyway and the PG is at 23.2 °Brix; the grapes taste fabulous and, what's left of them, look great.  Now, if I could train the chickens to poop only in the vineyard I may overlook their thieving of my hard-farmed crop.

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinochicks will live forever in the cyber-zone.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: They have also 'sampled' some low-lying clusters in the Syrah...they won't be living forever anywhere, never mind "the cyber-zone," if they don't leave the fruit alone.

Thud said...

I'll get Matt over with his chicken pacifier.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Chicken pacifier? Sounds ominous.