Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Wine games.

With a particular bottle of wine in mind, I headed into Vinoland's wine cellar for a look-see.  Yikes!  I didn't realise that there is so much crappy, old wine in there.  There's a lot of good stuff, but there is a fair percentage of wine that needs to disappear - down the toilet if necessary.  Then, I had a thought.  I should select a bottle a week, taste the wine and post about it even if the wine is awful and undrinkable.
I remembered that I like doing series/themes of posts.  Amongst some in the past, there have been; Winery Christmas Lights (WCL), Napa Valley's American Viticultural Area Signs (AVA Sign), Wines of the World (WOTW) and, Thud's personal favourite, Week of Weeds (WOW).  Titter, Titter.  (To see all posts related to these series, click on respective labels below.)
As my search continued, dodging cobwebs (some with spiders in them), stubbing my toes on cases and almost triggering a small avalance of teetering bottles, I had fun trying to recall the provenance of individual bottles I espied.  Where did I buy this bottle?  Was it a gift?  Have I been to this winery?  Memories, mental images and single words popped into my head like a game of word association.  Or rather, in this instance, wine word association (WWA).  A ha!  A new idea for yet another (short) series formed in my mind.  One wine, one word.  I grabbed five random (local) wines with which to start.
Never did find the original bottle of wine that I was looking for.
Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Thud said...

Yes weeds, I awaited every post with anticipation and building excitement....bring on the crappy wine.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

A writer that easily sweeps me into a cluttered, toe stubbing, spider haunted, almost ancient-like wine cellar is a brilliant writer in my book.
Groth 2016 must be a fairly new addition.
Speaking of Groth, Yesterday I found two handsome bottles of their 2015 Reserve Cabernets, which I placed in my basket and paid for ($27 more than last year); one for the Eurocave and one for the arrival of a special occasion.
Cheers!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I do it all for you :)

NHW: Thanks, but, funnily enough, I wish I could write better.
2016 is Groth's current release (the one that got no. 4 in the world's top 100 from WS). Darned library wines, they are always more expensive :(

phlegmfatale said...

I will try to mosey over here more often-- I always love your posts on wonderful wines. I still remember one summer I kept looking for one (that was probably exclusively local for y'all) called "Blue Plate Special, or somesuch. Your photos and lovely writing make the wine sound all the more wonderful. :)

Vinogirl said...

Phlegmmy: Yes, 'Blue Plate' Chenin Blanc. I was just talking about it the other day. Unfortunately the producer seems to no longer be in business; main problems for small wineries - distribution and lack of money :(