Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Get back...

...to where I once belonged, Part 6.  Yes, later today, I'm off home to Blighty once again.  I love Liverpool and it will always be home to me.
Liverpool is a city teeming with history.  From being granted a royal charter by King John in 1207, lots of well known people have hailed from this maritime city (not just The Beatles, and me) and tons of interesting stuff has happened there.  Thriving docklands, which created great wealth (historically bananas and sheep were big business), led Liverpool to be known as the Second City of the Empire.   Liverpool can boast that it had the first United States Consul anywhere in the world, most definitely an indicator of the city's status and importance.  And it was also home to James Greig's cooperage.
This old photograph (on a postcard) of the J. Grieg, Cooper & General Cask Dealer is dispalyed in the Merseyside Museum of Labour History.  I haven't been able to find out much information about Mr. Greig's business other than the tidbit of information on the back of the postcard.  Apparently the photograph was taken in about 1900 and the cooperage was located at 23 Virgil Street (off Scotland Road, north of the city centre).  I think this photograph is wonderful, and not just because it has barrels in it, look at the character in the faces of those men.  I'm amusing myself with the idea that I may still recognise any one them on the street in Liverpool, only now in the faces of their descendents.  Not all Liverpudlians have left this much beloved city as I have.
Get back JoJo!

7 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: There is definitely multifaceted art in this picture!
Is "JoJo" for Josephine, Josette, or Joanne? Well, don't forget to come for some California grapes ;-)

Trubes said...

Hey Vinogirl:
Get back to where you once belonged.
Interesting post about our much loved city,
You best get over to my blog as I've been writing extensively about Liverpool and The Beatles etc.
Have a good journey home, Best wishes,
Di xx

Vinogirl said...

NHW: It's more about the sentiment of the song and going back to where I was born and bred.

Trubes: Thanks. It's a great city. Will have a peep at your blog.

Thud said...

For those of us of a more reactionary nature it was also home of the C.S.A. consulate.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Good to know.

madein63 said...

Hi, I'm a descendant ofJames Greig. He was my 2x great grandfather. Born near St Andrews in Scotland c.1850. Must pop over to L'pool next time I'm up North and do a bit of research. Any other Greig descendants out there???

Vinogirl said...

Madein63: Welcome to Vinsanity.
How exciting to have stumbled across some of your family's history on my blog. I wish you all the best in tracking down more pieces of your ancestral puzzle.