Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Cheap and cheerful.

Was this wine cheap?  Yes, at $3.99 this Vinho Verde may just qualify as the cheapest bottle of wine I have purchased this year.  Was it cheerful?  Absolutely, it's lively spritziness definitely put a smile on my face.  Attracted by the colourful label, I was pleasantly surprised by this non-vintage, fun wine.  Nice flavours of lime, green apple and pear, and low alcohol (9%), made this a very quaffable tipple. 
I've always liked Vinho Verde, it says summer to me.  Hailing from northern Portugal, Vinho Verde is not an actual grape variety: rather, this green wine is produced from several different grape varieties, e.g. Arinto, Azal, Loureiro, and Trajadura (amongst others).  Fresh and fruity, this bottle of Gazela was alright, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.  There are just too many other Vinho Verdes out in the world to try.

8 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Vinogirl, you've described my experience with Vinho Verde beautifully, but I usually pay about $6, still a very good deal.

Thomas said...

Gazela has been my summer drink for a number of years. Throughout the season I always have a case on hand.

I like it with a dash of seltzer to sip while I cook dinner.

Here, it is listed at $4.49, but since I always buy by the case, I get it at the real price of $4.

Dennis, at that price, are you getting Gazela or some other brand?

Vinogirl said...

NHW & Tomasso: I bought the Vinho Verde on sale. I looked today and it seems that the regular price is $5.99.
I noticed that the supermarket has a new batch in. The bottles on the shelf now have a green screwcap instead of the black one on the one I purchased...I may have to buy another. I lied.

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Thomas: Arca Nova 2011 Vinho Verde, $6.30-$8.75
Quinta De Azevedo 2009 Vinho Verde, $7.64-$10.99.

At the price you guys are purchasing Gazela Vinho Verde, I'll have to start looking for it:-)

Thomas said...

Dennis: I've tried many Vinho Verde, including the ones you note. Some are slightly more interesting than Gazela, but since I drink the wine for a more free-flowing reason--as refreshment--I don;t need it to be contemplative. Gazela refreshes and is priced right.

Vinogirl: I've never seen Gazela int his market beyond $5/bottle. Maybe the price is rising.

Of course, now that the black cap is a green one, the change might signal a price boost.

Thomas said...

Oh, I should also warn that Vinho Verde is a regional wine appellation. It comes in white, red, and rose (with an accent over the e).

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Yes, I saw that Gazela also produces a rosé, I think I saw it in Cost Plus for $6.99. I might have to try it.
I'm assuming your Gazela has the black screwcap also then?

(é = Alt+130)

Thomas said...

Yes, it does.