Saturday, May 06, 2017

Afternoon in the Vineyards: 2017.

This afternoon, Vinomaker and I ventured out of Vinoland, but we didn't go too far.  Staying fairly close to our Coombsville home, we decided to attend Afternoon in the Vineyards the annual event hosted by the Napa Valley Vintners.  And, for the first time, Vinodog 2 came along with us.
The folks at Faust, our vineyard of choice, farm approximately 112 acres in Coombsville's gently, rolling hills.  The vineyard is planted to five grape varieties; Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Syrah and Sauvignon blanc.  And all the vines, from what I could see, are head-trained and cane-pruned.  The weather was a tad cool, the scenery was beautiful and V2 had a poo.  Not much more to say really.  Oh, except that I did taste a Faust 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon, but didn't think an awful lot of it; too plummy and one-dimensional, not a lot going on.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: You have inadvertently given my mind whiplash; as I was reading this post I was thinking: Never had a Faust Cab., have to 'rectify' that; when like a deer at night facing the headlights and still: "didn't think an awful lot of it; too plummy and one-dimensional, not a lot going on."
If I see their SB, I'm sure to grab one! The good, bad, and the ugly of it, I suppose!
Yes! I do listen to your reviews.
I would have loved to have seen V-2's expressions when you arrived home.

Thud: Just like a sister!

Thud said...

Dennis...exactly.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: The problem with this event (compared to Morning in the Winery) is that the personnel staffing the event are from the 'Napa Valley Vintners' and not vineyard/winery employees. I pressed the lady, pouring the CS, for answers to the source of the fruit, etc., but she knew little to nothing. Managed to ascertain that the CS was a blend from all the vineyards that Agustin Huneeus owns, which I thought odd considering that this vineyard at 112 acres, and the biggest, privately owned vineyard in Coombsville, would be perfect for a single vineyard-designated wine. Perhaps future vintages...