Friday, July 08, 2016

Pine Ridge in my fridge.

This Chenin blanc-Viognier from Pine Ridge Vineyards is a wine that I have always found to be a pleasant tipple.  Well, nearly always.  I seem to recall that I really didn't care for the 2007 vintage (or, was it the 2008?) as it was simply just too sweet for my liking.  A mere $10.00 at my local supermarket (actually, I paid $9.89) this wine is great value.  As a matter of fact, this wine is cheaper to buy at the supermarket than it is at the winery with my inter-winery discount.
A blend of 80% Chenin blanc and 20% Viognier, the lovely floral-honeyed-citrusy-peach characteristics one would expect from these two grape varieties marry well in the bottle (and even better in my mouth, tee-hee).  A slight hint of residual sugar gives the wine a little bit of oomph in the body department and serves to lengthen a crisper than one would expect finish. The 2014 is a nice, very reasonably priced wine for summer.

6 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: You remember well your remembering: From NHWM post 8/24/2011: VG said: "This is one of my go-to-whites...great price, great flavour, one of Vinomaker's favourites (he drinks more white than red)...except for the 2008 (or was it the 2007?) which had some RS and just wasn't quite right."

On a side note, I was listening to the winemaker Alison Crowe saying that unschooled wine novices need to find "authoritative voices" they can trust; her first such voices were her professors at UC Davis, which made me think of you and Bottle Shock. I suppose Vinomaker contributes.
As for me, my first authoritative voice was Andrew Jefford, David Boyle, and some that comment on my blog (:-)) or which keep me on my toes concerning RS and linalool ;)
Thanks for all you contributions here!

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I might have said: Thanks for all you contributions here and abroad!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: What can I say? I cannot tell a lie. (In vino veritas?) I may be repeating myself, but at least I am consistent.
My "authoritative voice" would be that of Hugh Johnson.
And thanks for all of your contributions to my blog.

Thomas said...

Contributions? We are supposed to make contributions? Where do I send the check?

James Higham said...

Wish I hadn't seen that. Want some now.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: Vinogirl, Napa. It'll find me :)

JH: Even a photograph of a cold white wine, on a hot summers day, will make me want to have a glass. Wish I could share :)