Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Lake County Goats.

More goats.  Not the fat and happy, valley-floor-living Napa goats I photographed this past April. No, these poor goats had the misfortune to find themselves in the midst of one of the most destructive wildfires in the history of California. I copied this photograph from the Facebook page of one of my co-workers, the Balancing Queen (BQ), who unfortunately lost her home and all of her possessions, and most likely her cats, in the Valley Fire which is currently burning to the north of here in Lake County. And tragically, the BQ is not alone in her predicament, at last count some 600 homes have been destroyed.
Wineries and vineyards have been lost.  Many vineyards, although not directly affected by the fire, remain unpicked as access to them is restricted.  Regretfully, wildfires, earthquakes and drought are all apart of life in California. The goats survived.
Photo credit: JoAnn Saccato

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I've been watching this development since July (you knew that), but what really bothers me is that the Feds didn't see the great harm this developing fire was and is to so many! I saw this and do see this as a national emergency requiring every possible resource available.
Let me know and I'll send a contribution for your co-worker!

Thud said...

plenty to eat at yours...more smokey wine in the offing?

Vinogirl said...

NHW: This fire, the Valley Fire only began on Saturday the 12th, but it is the third fire, I think, in the general vicinity. If you saw how unscathed the house is where the fire originated you'd be quite shocked. Just tragic. We are still trying to figure out how best to help the Balancing Queen. I will certainly pass on your kind comment.

Thud: Yes, I'd like to hire those two goats to deal with the blackberries!
2008 was the last smokey vintage from Lake County. The growers and vintners involved seem to be already downplaying the possible smokey consequences of this fire on the quality of the 2015 vintage.