Sunday, August 02, 2015

Napa nest 6.

I'm so excited.  I have a dark-eyed junco nest in my Pinot grigio vines. With Vinomaker's help, I spent most of  my day putting up the bird netting in the Pinot grigio vines.  Just as I was pulling some unwanted lateral growth from higher up in the canopy I noticed this nest.  As the nest was just above eye level, I had to stand on my tiptoes to see inside - four eggs, wow! Just then I realised I was being harangued by a dark-eyed junco female who wasn't nearly as excited with my find as I was. Sorry momma, let me just get right out of your way.

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Amazingly intricate, but the eggs are beautiful; no wonder there used to be (illegal) egg collectors.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Bird eggs fascinate me. And these eggs are the handiwork of none other than my pal, Necklace: http://vinsanity-vino.blogspot.com/2015/01/necklace.html
I spotted him collecting nesting materials about two weeks ago, now he's busy, darting here and there, collecting insects for the missus.

Thud: It is pretty cool to recognise the bird who fathered the eggs...wonder if his offspring will have the same colouration as their dad.

Thud said...

mine don't!

Vinogirl said...

Thud: Funny :)