Friday, May 01, 2015

Working Hard?

Or hardly working?  The Pinot grigio vines are hard at work blooming right now.  The weather this week has been perfect for bloom, warm, dry and not very windy - should be a good fruit-set. I was working moderately hard at stuffing shoots and suckering the grapevines when I noticed bloom had begun.  Meanwhile, Vinodog 2 was working hard at finding any shady spot in the vineyard where she could comfortably nap, (whilst still keeping an eye on me, of course). Workers, and nappers, of the world unite.  Happy May Day.

6 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: All I could think about when seeing and reading this is: If you could listen to those buds "hard at work" you'd hear oohs and aahs; just the opposite of the expressed aches and pains of the a jogger's knees crying with howls and moans! I suppose the endorphins will keep the mind under control. I'll just reach for a good Cab!
Happy belated May Day!

Thomas said...

The Finger Lakes weather has also been perfect for plant bloom. I might get fruit this year.

Like clockwork, on May 1 the asparagus showed their first few heads. It's asparagus for a month!

Peas are next.

Heaven can wait.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Yes, just drink that discomfort away :)

Tomasso: I wouldn't mind a month of asparagus, I've had it the past two nights.

Thomas said...

I try each night to devise a new wqay to prepate asparagus. It is indeed fun.

Love steamed asparagus with a poached egg on top.

Thomas said...

My fingers are hitting different keus.

Vinogirl said...

Tomasso: "Keus" - tee hee.
Two nights ago, stir-fried with steak and ginger. Last night, added to green beans, sun dried tomatoes, shrimp and leeks over bucatini.